Home   Guestbook 2e0ijk Equipment Antennas History Mobile  2e0ijk Blog Events & Activations Dxpedition 2e0ijk qso's




Today myself and Linden M6PZZ activated our 3rd summit Shining Tor, the day started with a bit of breakfast

and cup of coffee from subway in Stockport then onward to the Cat & Fiddle car park. On arrival there was plenty of

mist and fog around so we could not get our bearings and not doing this Summit before we were unsure where we had to go after

asking in the Cat & Fiddle pub we were still no nearer to finding out where to start the accent to the top. After a short drive back

down the road we spoke to a guy walking his dog who pointed us in the right direction by this time the fog was starting to clear slightly

so we could make out certain reference points we had been told by the man walking his dog. At no time on our accent or decent from the

Summit did the rain stop bouncing down it wasn't a good day for a SOTA activation but we were not going to let that stop us. We made it

to the top of the Summit within 30 minutes and to be honest did not want to start getting all our gear out so we just used our handhelds,

mine a kenwood thf7e 5 watts and Lindens a yaesu vx8r 5 watts. I worked 4 stations M0VFO Steve, 2E0ZRA Chris, 2E0LKC Peter &

2E0LMD Ann that was enough to get me 2 points for activating the Summit so thanks to you guys for working me.

Below are a few pictures taken on the day as you can see it was wet and windy lets hope on my next Summit there will be a bit better

weather 73's 2e0ijk Dave




Today 06/04/12 Easter weekend I activated my 2nd summit Pen-Y-Ghent with Linden M6PZZ. It took just over

an hour to get to the top stopping a couple of times on the way for pictures and for a rest. It was a cold

day with snow on the ground which made it hard going and made us tired quite quickly. Arriving at the top we took

a drink of coffee and started setting up our stations. My portable station the Yaesu FT817 mfj tuner and SRC X80 vertical

antenna. Lindens station was a Yaesu VX8 handheld with a home made 2 meter beam. I had 5 contacts on 20 meters and then

interested in how Lindens beam was working he let me put some calls out on his station working 8 stations on 2 meters including working

2E0YYY/P Mike on Summit G/SP 011 Freeholds Top a nice Summit to Summit qso. It was a great day and we are both looking forward to

arranging our next SOTA activation within the next week or so.

Thank you to all the stations who worked 2E0IJK/P Northern Pennines 010 Pen-Y-Ghent below are pictures of the day.




Today 31/03/12 I activated SOTA G/NP 017 Fountains Fell with Chris M0RSF, Neil M3UNG, Linden M6PZZ and Ian M6WRX all pictured

 above from left to right. It took about 55 minutes to reach the top of the summit stopping on the way to take pictures. A great day was had by all and

 we all had some great contacts. Linden, Ian & Neil all working on 2 meters FM, Chris working on 70cm FM and myself on 20 & 15 meters SSB.

 The station I used was a Yaesu FT817 with 5 watts into a vertical SRC X80 antenna strapped to a fence post tuned by my MFJ 941e tuner. My first

 contact was on 20 meters into New York N1EU calling me with a great signal into my portable station on top of the summit. I had a total of 38

 contacts 33 on 20 meters, 4 on 15 meters and 1 on 10 meters. We all plan to activate our next summit in the coming weeks so keep visiting for more

 details. Thanks to all the stations who called 2E0IJK/P Fountains Fell for my first ever SOTA activation I look forward to the next one 73's.





Today myself and Linden M6PZZ was on the air from Wales signing as 2W0IJK & MW6PZZ its the first time I have visited Wales

 and what a wonderful place the views were amazing, it was also the first time I have got to sign as 2W0IJK/m.

The reason for our visit to Wales was to collect a scam 12 mast which I will be erecting in the next couple of days at my home qth so

keep visiting for an update to the 2E0IJK Station. Below are pictures from the day.



Barmston Driffield North Humberside

2E0IJK/P was active today from Southfield Lane North Humberside East Yorkshire, after getting there around dinner time

we set our portable station up right next to the cliff top looking out to sea. We firstly tried 40m then later on as the afternoon

went by we put out our 20m dipole it was a good day and I had a couple of good contacts the first 4U1ITU ITU HQ GENEVA

on 5 watts on the yaesu ft817 the second VU2AU INDIA op: Paran.

Other stations worked GM4ROJ/P, G7VQV/P/ LA0HK, DL1ECU/P, 9A1WFF/P. I would like to thank all the stations

that worked me on the day and look forward to the next time. Below are pictures of the station we used on the day.
















After a long winter and a long time without any radio outdoors it was time to get out there and set up another station. After talking to my friend Craig who is currently taking his foundation exam and really keen to get on the air I mentioned to him about the 80m club championship taking part between 1900 and 2030 UTC on the 02-05-2011 he was well up for setting a portable station up and watching me take part to get more of an understanding of a contest situation. Craig also a keen angler was at the side of his favourite fishing spot Newton Lane fishing pond (located at Fairburn Ings just outside Castleford West Yorkshire) suggested we set up the station and take part there so our location was chosen. On the day we constructed a half wave dipole antenna around 126ft total length out of stainless wire and homemade dipole centre piece made out of some perspex, we fed the antenna with some 50 ohm coax and erected it in the air. Initial tests were it was a little bit too long but after a few inch of each side it was soon resonant without any tuner and we were on the air. A 10 min tune across the band and I 2E0IJK/P worked down south to Lincolnshire on 5 watts with a 5/9 +10 report so the antenna was putting out a signal ok and recieve was fantastic to say the least. Throughout the day I 2E0IJK/P had worked 5 stations: G4BXQ, M0RRA, G0NXA, EI4DJB and M0OJG I would like to thank all the stations who worked 2E0IJK/P and look forward to working you all again in the near future. Results from the contest can be found on the RSGB website or the news section of my site. Below are a couple of pictures of the days events and the portable station.



After our visit to Whitby on our last dxpedition and our vertical cp6 letting us down myself 2e0ijk + Dave m3ytv made repairs to the trap as the coil inside had come off the rivet due to poor manufacturing. After the repair was complete the weekend arrived and myself and Emma m6eow set off to Emley Moor Mast at 10:30am to meet Greg m6son. We arrived there around 11:15 and it was very cold. Myself and Greg started putting together the now repaired diamond cp6 and after a couple of minutes of being in the cold we couldn't feel our fingers. After braving the weather it was finally up, after all it was only a test visit to see if the trap repair was a success. After a few short tests across the bands the S.W.R was perfect and the antenna performing as normal. I had a short qso on 40 metre's with Henry DL4DQ and had no trouble at all while in the qso the antenna performed as it should of.

My Diamond CP6 is one of four antenna's that has had the same poor manufacturing of the rivet within the trap causing a high S.W.R to occur while transmitting but when this repair is carried out from my tests seems to perform as normal if not better. Below are pictures of the very cold and snowy day that we had at Emley Moor Mast. Next time we visit will be in the summer as its a cold location to visit in the winter time.









Video's of the day can be found by clicking on the picture below.


WHITBY 01-03-2009

My first dxpedition took place at English Lighthouse 164 in Whitby North Yorkshire.

We set off at 08:00am and made our way down the A64 to Whitby. We arrived at the Lighthouse

at 09:30am. After finding a good spot for the antenna we unpacked the car and assembled the antenna.

After the antenna was up in the air we checked the bands and noticed that the antenna had developed

a high S.W.R reading and was fluctuating up and down from been good one minute to bad the next. After

taking the antenna down I noticed one of the traps at the top was loose so decided to pack the antenna

back up and repair it for our next event when we returned home. We went on to use the antennas on my

vehicle which work really well. I worked the following stations and would like to thank them

all for returning to my Cq calls.



Home   Guestbook 2e0ijk Equipment Antennas History Mobile  2e0ijk Blog Events & Activations Dxpedition 2e0ijk qso's